Saturday, May 21, 2016

Yes: A reflection on not telling myself No

Not too long ago, I wrote a blog post about not telling myself "No."  That was my advice to my students.

Since then, I've been trying to practice that--taking my own advice--in everyday life.  I think I've found that the key for me isn't so much about just not telling myself "No," it's about telling myself yes.  Telling yourself "Yes" to that opportunity.

And ever since then, every single opportunity that so have had (and I always thought I was good at this), I've been really good about making sure that I don't say "No" to an opportunity just by omission.  So I have said "Yes" to every opportunity that has presented itself.  And amazing things have been happening in my life.

So my challenge to you: Don't settle for just not telling yourself "No."  Make sure you tell yourself "Yes."  "You can do this."  Be your own cheerleader.


I will admit, it hasn't been easy.  I'm extremely busy this time of year: testing, paperwork, keeping my students from climbing the walls because it's May.

It's been a lot of work.  Which makes me think about a video we show our advisory students each fall.  It's Ashton Kutcher's speech at the Teen Choice Awards a few years ago.  He shares his advice with a crowd of kids who I hope heard his message.  One of the pieces that always sticks with me is when he said "Opportunity looks a lot like work."  It's true, opportunity looks so much like work.  But when it's an opportunity you want to take, it's work you want to do.

I found what I want to do.

What do you want to do?


No comments:

Post a Comment