Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Where Does the Time Go?

When did it get to be October already!?!?!

I presented at my first "Google Summit" this weekend: Missouri Summit featuring Google for Education :)  It is something I truly enjoy doing.  Hopefully the paperwork will subside soon so I can finish my Google Educator Level 2 certification!

Some highlights of the day:
-Use the Explore button in Google Sheets to visualize data
-YouTube Capture is a powerful tool
-Tina Lauer is my hero
-Nick Cusumano isn't so bad either
-Amazing teachers in my session and getting them re-energized for their classrooms!

More than anything, I realized that I have reached the point with my love of educational technology that I have to make a decision about what the future holds for me.  When I began my journey into teaching, I wanted to be a really good math teacher.  After learning that not all students learn the same way (yes, this was a shocker to me because I'd never really thought about it before), I pursued Special Education as my Masters program.  In my mind, a Masters in Math Ed simply taught me more of how to teach math, but not to students who struggled.  Still, I wanted to be a regular education math teacher, one that could teach all students who came through my door.  That isn't the road my career took me down.  I wouldn't change any of it for all the gold in Fort Knox.

Over the last 5 years, I have worked with 2nd graders, 7th graders, and high school students.  I have taught reading, writing, and math.  For the last 3 years, I have been teaching high school math in special education and I really enjoy that part of my job.  Some days I think I could do that forever.  Some days I don't know if I can take another day.  High school has it's ups and downs.  Just when you think you have it all figured out, a new adventure always finds you.  My one constant through the years has been my desire to stay on top of the latest educational technology in the classroom.  As I mentioned in a previous post, we are now 1:1 with Chromebooks and that has led to triumphs and challenges in itself.  One of my strengths (in my opinion) is rising to challenges.

I feel confident using technology in the classroom, but this isn't the case for every teacher I work with.  This isn't the case with most teachers I know.  I really enjoy working with teachers to help them gain confidence.  I don't see standing in front of my peers and presenting/teaching to be a daunting task.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  Herein lies the problem.  How do I make that transition?  Will I be accepted?  Will they take me seriously?

So I'll follow the advice I give my students.  "If you don't ask, you're telling yourself 'No'."  After all, what kind of leader would I be if I didn't take a chance?  If I didn't choose to lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment